Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
January 12, 2023
We are currently searching for a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer to join our team on a permanent basis. This is an excellent opportunity to join a busy and growing company with a great atmosphere.
- Manage and advise on technical aspects of the Engineering project process.
- Create project schedules for assigned projects and actively manage and engage with the engineering team to deliver projects on within the agreed schedules and budgets
- Estimate engineering hours for project deliverables and create proposals for new work.
- Support the Project Manager to develop updates for customers
- Participate and coordinate both internal and external project meetings with the engineering teams, clients and suppliers
- Mentoring of members of the engineering and design team
- Work collaboratively as part of an integrated group
- Supervise and direct engineers/designers as required.
- Take into account the multidiscipline nature of plant design and independently liaise and communicate with the appropriate disciplines and customers as required
- Work with the client, synthesize and disseminate project information, scope, etc. with a multidiscipline team
- In conjunction with other senior project team members, participate in the development and maintenance of project budgets and schedules
- Together with the department heads, monitor and assess design progress and productivity, and take corrective action if necessary
- Travel to client facilities when required for the project
- Maintain and develop strong working relationships with existing clients
- Has a diverse and comprehensive knowledge of mechanical engineering including best practices for 3D modelling and drawing creation; design for manufacturing and assembly; and component sizing and selection (e.g. electric motors, hydraulic cylinders.)
- Capabilities in design analysis, including calculations from first principles, and analysis using software packages (i.e. finite element analysis.)
- Hands-on ability to assemble, test and refine designs.
- Communicates effectively with sub-contract fabrication and assembly shops.
- Innately wants to support and participate in company strategic development initiatives related to design organization including SolidWorks workflow and asset management.
- Is systematic in the approach to work flow and holds themselves accountable for the agreed deliverables; substance of content, accuracy of information and timeliness of provision.
- Demonstrates an instinctive desire for constant improvement for both product and processes and is anxious to propose new, better and more effective ways of doing things.
- Is encouraging of others in the organization and promotes professional development for themselves and well as others.
- Is promotional of the business and inherently wants the company, its’ affiliates and its’ people to succeed.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Custom machinery design involving mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic, electrical and electronic components and sub-systems.
- Selection of appropriate components for designs, including shafts, bearings, actuators, sensors and fasteners as required by the design specifications and customer requirements.
- Investigate opportunities from the Applications Engineering team, then concept solutions and take those concepts through to detail design.
- Assist in the review of customer submitted specifications and offer advice to the applications group.
- Help with the development of concepts for review with end clients.
- Generate estimates in support of cost book and schedule development.
- Create drawing packages including assembly drawings with bills of materials, and fabrication drawings with appropriate use of GD&T.
- Verify design integrity using software tools and/or first-principles calculations.
- Ensure ease of manufacturability and assembly of designs to reduce production and maintenance costs.
- Participate in prototyping and functional testing of systems.
- Lead design and drawing reviews.
- Interface with manufacturing as designs move to production.
- Assist in the development of standards.
- Use SolidWorks to update existing design models and drawings as indicated on “redline” drawings provided by external or internal clients.
- Assist in the preparation of mechanical data sheets and input to the preparation of equipment data sheets and specifications.
- Participate in internal and external project meetings.
- Work collaboratively as part of an integrated team.
- Develop calculation tools that may be required by the project.
- Provide support to the project manager, project engineer, and engineering team as dictated by project requirements.
- Travel to client facilities when required for the project.
- Assist in developing EPCM business proposals and offerings.
- Participate in project “post mortem” meetings.
- Provide interactive feedback to the Engineering and R&D groups based on lessons learned.
- Help the R&D team identify opportunities for technical and commercial improvement.
- Recognize new product or feature opportunities based on industry trends or direct client interface and suggest proof of concept or pilot projects that may bring this new product/feature to reality.
- Participate in internal project kick-off as well as regular internal update meetings/design reviews.
- Manage personal workflow as part of assigned responsibilities in coordination with the project execution team.
- Input tasks into workflow management software, and track hours using prescribed Company tools.
- Create and amend documentation required for the customer including review and approval of documents such as operation & maintenance manuals.
- Assignments to projects would be reviewed with your manager on a case-by-case basis.
- 3-8 years’ experience with mechanical engineering experience
- BSc or a similar undergraduate degree
- Registered as a Professional Engineer with PEO or other Canadian Professional Engineering institution
- Proficient in Microsoft office, AutoCAD, Solidworks
- Professional Engineering registration is preferred
- Ability to lawfully work in Canada
Who we’re looking for:
- Someone self-motivated that can align with project and company goals
- Flexible thinker that can bring ideas and unconventional ways of doing things to the table while progressing multiple projects simultaneously
- Team player and open communicator
What we can offer you:
- Exposure to a broad cross section of industries on a global scale
- Competitive compensation
- Open and collaborative teamwork
- Fast paced, interesting and challenging assignments
Please email your resume to: email@example.com. Reference Job Posting # SMD0123 in your reply.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The EPCM Group is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, inclusion, and supporting the well-being of our employees.