In 2007, EPCM developed the Superior Performance (SP) cathode, offering greater corrosion resistance, while maintaining industry-leading electrical performance. Over 200,000 SP Cathodes are in service at copper producers in South America, Asia, Africa, and Europe.
The SP Cathode is fabricated by COBRA Technology, an EPCM company established in 1998 to support permanent cathode users. Today COBRA operates a modern manufacturing and repair facility in Antofagasta, Chile, the heart of the South American copper belt.
To date, COBRA has manufactured over 500,000 permanent cathodes for base metal tankhouses globally.
Superior Design Features
- Stainless steel blanks are welded to copper hanger bars for long term low voltage drop and electrical efficiency
- Hanger bars are wrapped with stainless steel sheathing for structural integrity and weld zone corrosion protection
- Dual barrier end seals contain an inert epoxy to prevent electrolyte ingression
- Consistent low voltage drops during cathode lifecycle
- Industry standard in structural integrity
- Corrosion resistant
- Easy to repair